Katiemagic

Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Crybaby

Yesterday CanaMa and I went to the crybaby matinee at the Angelika Film Center. Having easy access to great movies is something that we gave up when we moved to the 'burbs. We used to check out a movie at the Angelika at least a couple times a month. Now all we get is the usual crap and we go just for the movie experience instead of an artistic experience which we love so much. But a crybaby matinee is worth the drive.

This week the crybaby movie is a French film starring Daniel Auteuil et Juliette Binoche (hello, perfect much?!). The theatre sets up a changing table for us and keeps the lights up a bit so we can see to breastfeed. I think I was in mommy heaven. There were 6 or 7 babies there all cooing and crying intermittently and NOBODY CARED! Although there were a few people watching who clearly didn't realize what they were getting into, they all politely kept their mouths shut. It was subtitled so no one missed any dialogue. The best part was that for the first time I felt what it is like to be a part of the mom club. Ellis burped loudly and a couple of the other moms turned around and laughed with me. We all asked ages and stages stuff and everyone just seemed happy to be around other women going through some of the same things.

It's definitely going to be a regular thing.

p.s. Hey check this out. I discovered it on another blog. Kinda like flickr for video.

8 Comments:

  • At 10:53 AM, Blogger Marksthespot said…

    At first I thought you meant a matinee of Cry-Baby and wondered, "Isn't that movie 15 years old, and how is she getting out of the house anyway?"

    I haven't heard of a movie event like that here in Philadelphia, but it's a great idea.

     
  • At 11:01 AM, Blogger lonna said…

    I have heard of these types of events for toddlers and preschoolers, but not babies. What a wonderful idea. I'm so glad that you felt part of the mom club. I get that feeling so rarely and it's really important.

     
  • At 11:41 AM, Blogger hazel said…

    oh my god, that is so excellent! we don't have anything like that here that I know of. I hope someone starts it up. though we may be past the baby stage now that she is running all over the place.

    an ideal afternoon - baby disco, followed by crybaby matinee. excellente!

     
  • At 12:42 PM, Blogger Katy said…

    Yeah I was a little shocked at the outing too! But then I kept reading and thought that is SO excellent. Congrats on the mommy club.

     
  • At 12:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey Kat! We have that here, but I have never been. Maybe I'll try it now! Have you thought about taking a class such as Gymboree with Ellis? They are a little pricey, but we asked for it as gifts for Camaryn (she got classes for her Christening, Birthday, etc from Grandparents). We started Gymboree when she was a tiny baby, and I loved it! They lead you through songs, and you work on different developmental things, eye tracking, reaching, etc. At the end you give your baby an infant massage. Plus you discuss a topic with the other Moms (and sometimes Dads) and talk about baby things...I really loved it when Cam was little, and she still loves it! Just a thought....

     
  • At 9:12 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    That is awesome! I had heard about those before. Good you found someone to swap stories with!

     
  • At 10:58 AM, Blogger NME said…

    They have a program like that at the Loews in Cherry Hill NJ - and I think in a bunch of other Loews - but I found out about it too late. It really is just for infants and they discourage bringing kids that don't sit still. So enjoy it while you can.

    Also - very cool to get out and meet other mothers. Those opportunities are always good.

     
  • At 3:22 PM, Blogger Missuz J said…

    It took me a minute to catch on too, but what a great idea! You, your hub, and Ellis look great in your new picture.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Free Counters
spread the love