Katiemagic

Saturday, July 09, 2005

Shrimp Week #13: OUT OF THE DANGER ZONE!

How your baby's growing: Your belly may soon be big enough to announce to the world that you're expecting, but your baby is still tiny. In fact, he's only about 3 inches long crown to rump — roughly the size of a jumbo shrimp — and weighs just about an ounce. Despite the small proportions, there's a fully formed baby inside your womb now. Much more proportional than it was a few weeks ago, his head is now only about a third the size of his body. His tiny, unique fingerprints are already in place. His kidneys and urinary tract are functional, and he's starting to urinate out the amniotic fluid he's been swallowing. As you start your second trimester, most of your baby's critical development will be completed, and your odds of miscarriage will drop considerably.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yay! We rode the highway right out of that danger zone, I am so relieved. Last night Husband and I had a "date" and it took me forever to find something to wear. All of my old skirts can still zip, but sitting down is seriously constricting, and when I try to wear any of my old clothes I just end up looking extra fat instead of pregnant. Luckily in my maternity clothes you can kinda tell. I'm glad to know that our baby is bigger than her age because that explains my fast expanding tummy. I was worried that I was just eating too much. Now when I tell CanaMa I'm showing a little and she says "are you sure it wasn't that (insert food here)*" I can say YES I'm sure!

This morning as I was drying off after my shower I noticed something well, disturbing. Little starter stretch marks all along the bottom of my belly going all the way around to my hips. What the hell? Isn't it too early? I've done my share of losing and gaining weight in this life so stretch marks aren't entirely new to me. But these are different. These are PURPLE. I've never seen anything like it. I guess I'll have to come to terms with the fact that my tummy will look like a map of purple rivers by the time I give birth. I'm starting to freak out a little bit about this huge change my body is beginning. I don't think any amount of "oh, but it's so special because you're growing a baby" is going to help.

Since it's week 13 my Doc says I can have a bit of caffeine. I've been jonesing for a big glass of iced tea for 3 months, so I'm off to drown my stretch marked sorrows in one right now.



*CanaMa would NEVER say anything like that unless she were JOKING. I have the awesomest momz ever. Seriously.

1 Comments:

  • At 8:50 AM, Blogger hazel said…

    wooohooooo! this is a milestone! but enough about the stretch marks, let's talk about the fact that you're out of the danger zone.

    ba dum bum.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Free Counters
spread the love