Katiemagic

Monday, December 12, 2005

We're Celebrating The Season With Blue Balls

Based on the title of this entry you might surmise that this post is about how long it's been since I've had sex. However I would like to stay married to the father of my child and would therefore never talk about something so terribly personal here without his express permission. I'll take guesses though, weeeeee!

Has anyone else noticed a serious lack of the holiday spirit this year? We keep driving around looking for neighborhoods where everyone has lights up and we have yet to find one (what else can an almost 9 month pregnant woman do at night?). Most neighborhoods only have 3 or 4 houses where people have bothered at all. We even saw one house where they had only done one side of the house (as in not the front or back but one side). I have to admit I wasn't really excited about it either until that arctic blast last week. To a Dallasite, an arctic blast means sleet, freezing rain, and maybe a little snow. It's great, the entire metroplex (Dallas, Fort Worth, and the 'burbs) freaks out and refuses to leave the house. The local news stays on all damn day (seriously, no Oprah, no nothing) to "report" on how many accidents there are and demonstrating just how cold 17 degrees is by making their reporters stand next to the freeways repeating themselves all day. This time there were 2,200 accidents in a 24 hour period. Yeah, we can't drive on that shit. There wasn't even very much accumulation only like 1/4 inch of ice on the bridges, and still we couldn't control our cars. We usually get one per season and that doesn't come until February. When I was in school I used to stay up as late as I could to watch for my school closing to scroll across the bottom of the TV. My district was always the last one to close so I never knew for sure until morning. Then I'd spend all day in my warm pj's and slippers drinking hot chocolate and reading. Now I spend my time drinking coco while making fun of the local news and the people that buy the grocery stores out of supplies to stock up for the 2 days that there will be ice on the ground.

For some reason this arctic blast ritual got me into the spirit a bit so we now have lights in our bushes and on one tree. Weee! Also, even though I'm not a very religious person it suddenly feels really cool to be so big and pregnant during the Christmas season. I keep having fantasies of going into labor on Christmas Eve.

I think I'll go pack my hospital bag just in case. Now please enjoy these photos of our version of winter weather.

IMGP2112

It's a bird rink!

IMGP2116

4 Comments:

  • At 8:28 PM, Blogger lonna said…

    Those pictures are so funny. I had a friend from college who moved to Atlanta. They got 2 inches in the winter once and the whole city was stopped for almost a week. My friend was from Michigan and was so happy to see snow again. We still have about 5 inches on the ground here, and that's after two days of 30-35 degree weather.

    We haven't done anything to our house yet for the holidays because it's been too cold to go outside and do anything. A lot of my neighbors have young kids, so a lot of them have lights on their house, but no one's got really tacky stuff up. It all looks pretty nice.

     
  • At 9:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Kevin was nice enough to get my lights out on the bushes out front on Sunday. My sat plans of running errands and decorating got seriously sidetracked by the 3hour stop at the bike shop. I had a minor hormonal moment and K said he'd do the outdoor lights. Gotta Love smart husbands. We got our tree decorated last night finally.
    Now if only the roommate would move out and I could get rid of this chest cold things would be great.
    I am certain you will have everything you need for little Ellis. As long as you have blankets to swaddle him he will stay warm. He won't be far from body heat either. Everyone will want to hold him.
    By the way how is it I move to TN to get a winter and you get Ice while I get rain?

     
  • At 1:50 PM, Blogger hazel said…

    oh my god, this is seriously hysterical. "sheet" "accumulation" - genius.

    I have to say that things are no different up here where we do actually get accumulation. when anything happens, all programming is preempted and we have people with little rulers out in the snow telling us up to the minute how much is in various locations. last week, they were filming a man whose car was stuck. there was a cameraman poised at his window filming his reaction. I wanted him so badly to say "PUT THE CAMERA DOWN AND FUCKING PUSH!"

    as far as lights, you can come stay at my house, where the frantic pulsing of freak "icicle" lights puts even the cat into epileptic fits. trent complained that it's too bright in his room from the lights across the street.

     
  • At 1:58 PM, Blogger hazel said…

    oh, and do any texans have these inflatables?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Free Counters
spread the love