Katiemagic

Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Holy Hormones Batman

I think that I've handled these pregnancy hormones pretty well in the past few months. In fact other than 2 incidences I can think of I've kept my wits about me entirely. I've worked really hard at recognizing when it's the hormones talking and keeping the lid on it. The past week however, things have been a bit less shall we say lidded. Things that used to make me laugh are starting to piss me off. Tonight we were at the grocery store in a mad search for faucet covers to prepare for the "arctic freeze" that all of the weather people are getting hard just talking about. Kent was walking at his normal pace which on a non-pregnant day I can have a hard time keeping up with. Tonight was especially difficult as my hip joints are determined to cripple me before this pregnancy is over. I think that steam started coming out of my facial orifices I was so annoyed. Then just as fast as it had come on, the she-devil in me was gone and I was perfectly fine.

I have a baby shower coming up in a few weeks so I was re-visiting the online registry tonight with Kent's help to make sure we had everything we wanted on there. He mentioned that we didn't have many clothes so we started looking for some. Did you know that it's impossible to find anything but short sleeved plain white onesies at Baby’s-R-Us? I almost threw the computer out the window. Then Kent casually observed that we don't really have any warm hanging-around-the-house clothes for the baby. I think I said something to the effect of "well you register for everything next time then motherfucker" then I gimped my way into the baby's room and started bawling because he was clearly going to freeze to death, while I looked for any warm clothes we might have gotten for him. Thank goodness I have a husband with enough innate kindness and common sense to come hug me and reassure me even though I'd just bitten his head off.

Also? This week I have faced reality and purchased Tucks medicated pads. I almost made it all the way through without needing them and frankly I'm pissed that it had to happen at all. It can't help that I'm not getting much good sleep. You know that pain you get in your hips when you sleep on the floor or ground when you camp? I get that every single night. In bed. It's so bad that it wakes me up and I have to turn over every 45 minutes to relieve it a bit. Around 4 every morning I've exhausted my hips so much that no amount of turning brings relief.

Up until recently I've been so happy that I was pregnant that any of these things felt like minor inconveniences. Now I'm so fed up that every little thing feels like a major challenge. I'm still happy and excited about being a mom I just don't understand why it takes being so freaking miserable to get a baby good and cooked.

6 Comments:

  • At 10:28 AM, Blogger hazel said…

    oh my god, I totally understand.

    do you have a recliner? if so, sleep in it. if only for one night. or try the couch. the cushions are squishier than your bed and you can prop your back up on the back of the couch.

    these last few weeks are fucked up. hopefully you'll forget about them once the baby comes. and don't stress about clothes - you will get 5,000,000 things from your baby shower that you didn't register for, 80% of which will be clothes. seriously. wait till that's over before you freak.

    you poor, poor thing.

     
  • At 11:29 AM, Blogger amandak said…

    Mwah, poor baby, I feel your pain. I think everyone should have a constant caregiver for the last month of pregnancy (and the first month of motherhood, for that matter), to rub feet, and backs and hips, and generally reassure and do everything for you. It's a fantastically special and wonderful time, and also a miserable, uncomfortable and stressful time. And somehow, having it be all those things at once makes it that much more difficult to process and deal with. Hang in there, pretty soon you'll have a whole new list of things to worry about. Oh, and he won't freeze, since he'll probably be laying on your chest enjoying all your yummy body heat for several weeks, at least.

     
  • At 12:26 PM, Blogger Missuz J said…

    If you're really worried about clothes, call a close friend and ask her/him to hit walmart or something for you and get a few long sleeved rompers.

    Sorry to hear about all the discomfort. It will be over soon!

     
  • At 8:58 PM, Blogger lonna said…

    We didn't register for any clothes, and we got a ton at my shower. We got all sizes and all levels of warmth. People will hopefully have your back.

    I had the hip pain/no sleeping thing too. My little bean pillow between my legs helped a little, but by the last month it could only do so much. Ethan and I ended up sleeping apart, with him on the futon, for a couple of nights because neither of us was getting good sleep together.

     
  • At 3:55 PM, Blogger NME said…

    The last few weeks can get pretty unbearable - but you HAVE to figure out how to get comfortable so you can get some sleep. You need to store up. Do whatever it takes and sleep, sleep, sleep away. And get some for me too.

     
  • At 8:06 PM, Blogger Kodi said…

    My hips hurt soooo bad when I was pregnant. I feel for you babe. I am so happy you have such a wonderful, understanding man who is supporting you through all of this.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Free Counters
spread the love