Katiemagic

Monday, September 12, 2005

Can I Go Back Now?


You know how people say that they need a vacation to recover from their vacation? Yeah, that's me. We just tried to squeeze too much into one weekend. We drove a solid 8 hours from The Mound to Corpus getting there at 10:30. Because Kent's brother was going deep sea fishing on Sunday we stopped by his house to see him before driving the last hour to Padre Island where we were staying. Keith, his brother just bought their mom's house which had been sitting empty for the last two years. For me it was hard and wonderful to see it, I can't imagine what it was like for Kent. They have done a lot with it and really made it their own. So we didn't get to the Bed and Breakfast Kent booked for us until around 1. But it was so beautiful out there we couldn't go straight to sleep. The plan was to get up at 6am to see the sunrise on the beach, but we woke up at 6am to see the lightning and rain out of our window so we slept in a bit. I have been to the beach maybe 3 times my whole life. So rain or shine I was determined to play in the water. I hear the gulf has the ugliest beaches around but they looked beautiful to me. I really didn't see much difference between that beach and the beaches in California where I spent an hour or so once.

The dauggers were so funny out there, they loved the water! Whenever I would try to go in a little ways Chloe got really anxious and tried to follow me even though Kent was right with her in the shallower part. So I didn't get a lot of wave riding time. But sitting in the water was just as nice.

It was great to spend the day with Kent's sister Genay and her husband Jim. His daughter is also pregnant and due in just a couple of weeks so we had a lot to talk about. Sunday we dug through some family photos looking for Kent's baby pictures, then drove out to visit the cemetery before leaving. We got home around 10 last night and had just enough energy to look at the pictures before we crashed. Next time we will definitely have to stay longer. I could use more beach time plus two long drives back to back like that just wear you out.

Here are the pictures if you're interested. Be prepared for gratuitous shots of dogs on the beach.

5 Comments:

  • At 8:12 AM, Blogger hazel said…

    great pictures!! that one of you and kent is really great. I love the hat.

    the beach can be so calming, can't it? I love it. I don't go nearly enough for someone who lives less than 2 hours away.

    that's alot to cram into one weekend, for sure. hopefully you'll be able to do it again, maybe for longer.

     
  • At 8:38 AM, Blogger amandak said…

    Sounds like a quick trip for sure. Too bad the weather wasn't particularly cooperative, but at least you didn't get sunburned. Cute pics. Especially the one with you and your honey. You guys are adorable.

     
  • At 8:59 AM, Blogger lonna said…

    I love the picture of you and Kent too. Hopefully you will be able to take more time next time you get to visit.

    I also don't think that there can be too many dog pictures. You would not believe the numbers of pictures we have of our cats before Dermot was born.

     
  • At 1:35 PM, Blogger NME said…

    Despite the imperfect weather your trip looks lovely. I think you need to make your way to water more often. IT seems to suit you.

     
  • At 10:47 PM, Blogger Katy said…

    I for one like cloudy days at the beach. It looks like you guys had a great time.

    I once did a trip much like yours, except mine was to Washington DC from Las Vegas. Drive 3 hours, sit on a plane, get off the plane, wait, get on another plane, sit, drive rental car into the city, do the whirl wind 12 hour DC tour, and then drive, plane, sit, plane, drive. They are exhausting trips, but kind of fun too.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Free Counters
spread the love