Katiemagic

Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Shrimp Week #22 (taken at the bed and breakfast in Padre)

Hair today, gone tomorrow? Your baby develops two kinds of hair in utero--the soft, downy body hair called lanugo, which generally falls off before or shortly after birth, and the hair on his head. Many parents are surprised (to say the least) to see their baby's hair at birth--blond couples often have black-haired offspring, dark ones are just as likely to deliver a little blond or redhead, and parents who have tight, wiry curls often produce babies with soft, loose ones. The bottom line seems to be that birth hair--or lack thereof--bears little resemblance to your child's "real" hair. The birth hair generally falls out by the time the baby is 6 months old, to be replaced by a more logical set of tresses.

4 Comments:

  • At 8:33 PM, Blogger lonna said…

    I love the word lanugo. It just rolls off of the tongue. Dermot had so much hair when he was born that we could see it at his last ultrasound at about 35 weeks. It was moving in the amniotic fluid.

     
  • At 10:43 PM, Blogger Katy said…

    My friends baby was so hairy at birth that everybody in the hospital came to see the sasquatch baby. I'm getting so excited to see little shrimpy!!

     
  • At 12:16 AM, Blogger Kodi said…

    I was just thilled my daughter even had hair. I was more surprised by her eye color. She has green eyes. Mine are blue, and her fathers are brown. I thought she would have brown eyes for sure since that is the dominant trait. But no, her eyes are beautiful green. Lucky kid.

     
  • At 8:30 AM, Blogger hazel said…

    I love that dress!! really cute.

    bella is still bald. I guess you never know.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Free Counters
spread the love