Katiemagic

Saturday, September 17, 2005

Shrimp Week #23 - It's all downhill from here

The end of this week is an important milestone: Your one-pounder would have a good chance of survival if born now--about 85 percent if given the right care. His body is well proportioned, although lacking in body fat, and the blood vessels in his lungs are developing to prepare for breathing. About 50 percent of "early preemies" experience complications ranging from eye problems to intracranial hemorrhage (spontaneous bleeding in the brain); the rate drops steadily from the 24th week onward.

4 Comments:

  • At 8:19 PM, Blogger lonna said…

    Congratulations on making it to the age of viability. Boy are my notes outdated. I always taught that 28 weeks was when things were okay. Technology has come a long way I guess.

     
  • At 9:03 PM, Blogger Katy said…

    My friend had a baby 4 months early and she survived. Modern miracles I guess. You look so cute!

     
  • At 2:23 PM, Blogger Kathryn said…

    Wow, 4 months early! The 85% is the best prediction I've seen. A lot of the books are much less enthusiastic about the chances but I'm going with the best case.

     
  • At 9:44 AM, Blogger hazel said…

    look how cute you are!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Free Counters
spread the love