Katiemagic

Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Home Ec

I haven't been the most joyful person to be around these last few weeks. It seems that staying at home has been a much bigger adjustment than I had anticipated.

Before I met my husband I had made up my mind never to have a family or get married. I was going to LA to get into the biz. It sounds so cliche now. I was serious about it at the time though, and I couldn't have imagined anything changing my plans. Then on the millennium new years eve I went camping with my best friend and another friend of ours (Kent). Until that night I had never even thought of beginning anything romantic with him, but there was something about the cold air, and warm fire, and his energy that opened me to the possibility. We didn't spend a night apart after that for quite a while. As I've said before I knew about 2 months into it that I wanted to marry him. I could not envision my future without him, and what I envisioned was not us in LA living that life. What I envisioned was me staying home with our kids. At that point any thought of a "real" career paled in comparison, and an acting career takes total devotion which I was not prepared to give at the expense of my new dream. So I took the job I have now with the thought in the back of my head that I would leave it some day to work in the home. When I was looking for new jobs recently (pre shrimpy) CanaMa would ask what I thought I wanted to do. All I kept coming back to was "be a stay at home mom". I didn't have any specific ideas about what that would mean, and I still don't really, but it's the first thing that popped into my head and heart.

In some vague way I knew that it meant keeping the house, and managing a grocery budget and all of those things. But when I think about someone doing those things the image that comes to mind is June Cleaver. It never crossed my mind that doing this job has not changed in any significant way since that time. But I don't think it has. And I, my friends, am not prepared. I have never been a neat freak and Kent has honestly done the lions share of house work up until now. I have never used a coupon in my life and have no idea how to plan a meal. I laughed at Home Ec being a required course in Jr. High because I thought I would never have any use for any of the things they taught in that stupid class. I know I don't have to be super housewife like the sitcoms of the 50's and 60's, but I'm not even adequate housewife at this point. I feel like a maid, and cry while scrubbing the floor (trust me it needed it) thinking to myself "why did I bother going to college if this is what I ended up doing? At least I could be getting paid for cleaning someone else's house." I know how ungrateful I sound don't bother telling me. A lot of this feeling comes from what I am now required to do for work, without going into too much detail, it's not much different from telemarketing (which is a world away from what I was hired to do), and have I mentioned how shy I am? I'm sure there will be a new sense of purpose once shrimpy's here. All the cleaning and budgeting will have a much bigger meaning then. I am VERY thankful I am able to go through this adjustment phase before he comes into this world. If this had happened right after we brought him home I wouldn't know that a lot (or at least some) of my feelings of being overwhelmed were caused by something else entirely. Hopefully I'll have a better handle on things by then.

I'm better each week I think, and it definitely helps when Kent's home more. I don't think he understands, and I can't blame him. I would never in a million years have thought I would feel this way when I get to sleep later and not go into an office every day. I think a lot of it is being scared of the traditional gender roles in this society. I don't want to fall into them. We're not really, I mean, I am not expected to stay here, I choose to be here. If I made the majority of the money in our household Kent would stay home. I am lucky that we can even attempt to afford it these days. I never expected this scenario to be perfect. I just never expected to feel so inadequate, and undervalued (by society, not Kent), and grateful, and trapped, and free, and stupid all wrapped into one. Maybe it's the hormones.

14 Comments:

  • At 5:29 PM, Blogger Katy said…

    I don't think there's any doubt that it's the hormones. Though I hate to hear that. Every time I have a bad day my mom just looks at me with that concerned/I just smelled something awful look and says "Are you hormonal?" and I say "No I'm upset, shut up and validate my feelings." So forget I said it's the hormones and allow me to validate your feelings. Some people think that models give us a distorted view of beautiful? I think housewives like June Cleaver give us a distorted view of reality. Nobody can live up to that because a) she had a script, and b)she had a director to scream at when the kids were acting up. Shrimpy is coming soon and then you'll realize that all this has been 100 percent worth it. Hang in there honey.

     
  • At 9:24 AM, Blogger hazel said…

    I hated working from home. I really hated being in my house for that long. I'm not a clean person either, and I look at my house as a place to retreat to, and I felt like it wasn't that any longer, and I resented everything about it. it's just not right for some people.

    but I think it could definitely be right for you, whether it's working from home or being a stay at home mom. nicole has a really healthy attitude toward it. she doesn't look at the sahm thing as the end of her professional career. it's more like she's taking time off. I think it feels more manageable that way. you're not giving anything up.

     
  • At 10:12 AM, Blogger NME said…

    Today we are SAHM not homemakers. I stay home to be a fulltime mom not to do laundry. Sure I get some laundry done when Noah naps, and I do clip an occasional coupon but Mark and I still split most of the household duties. Rarely when Noah is awake am I doing much besides occupying Noah. I sit in our office on the floor and play with him, read him books, listen to music and if he's playing independently I'll answer some emails or read a blog. But for the most part nurturing Noah is only focus when he is awake.

    Other times I have been at home because of unemployment or time between jobs I have always gotten really bored and really depressed. I worried that would be the case when I was staying home with Noah. And it isn't - he's hardly boring and your Shrimpy will fill up your day like you never thought possible.

    As Patrice said I think of it as a break. I don't know how long I'll stay home at this point and I'm always thinking about when I'll go back to work and what I might do - but it helps me to think of staying at home as what works best for us ALL now and I can reconsider it if it isn't working for any of us.

    Some days are harder than others - no matter where you are and ruts happen to even those in the most exciting jobs ever. So don't throw in the towel too easy when you could be just as depressed in a cubicle or on the set.

     
  • At 11:04 AM, Blogger Kathryn said…

    Thanks guys. I'm not giving up by any means. I know when the baby pops out my days will have an entirely new focus. It's just a little rough waiting because the focus now isn't so great.

     
  • At 11:26 AM, Blogger amandak said…

    Well, if you've read my latest post, you've seen the depths of my SAHM despair. However, I have to say, it's not always like that. I really admire the fact that you can see this as a choice. And you know what? It's kindof a radical choice in this day and age. It's hard to not be running around getting all kinds of props from the outside world. It's hard to remember who you are sometimes outside of your family. But, on the other hand, I DO have those days when I'm SO grateful that I have the opportunity to be the one creating a home for my family. That I have the option to be here, and give all the energy I can to raising my children. For all the days I hate it, there are many days that I LOVE it.

    OK, none of that came out quite like I wanted it to, but I hope you get the idea.

     
  • At 1:00 PM, Blogger mrs. awesome said…

    i think you've hit on one of the hardest things about staying home...the need for adult companionship and conversation. it took me a while to realize why it was so important that p. be home on time and that we talk in the evening. being at home IS hard, in part i think because the jobs are so repetitive (is the laundry EVER done?)

    i never actually planned on staying home...i had a great career, made more than my husband, and loved how things were new and exciting every day. but, when g. was born, i saw her little face and i KNEW. not knew in the way like a lightbulb, knew like we would eat ramen before i'd miss out on anything in her life.

    i don't think staying at home is for everyone, and certainly other people make different choices. but, when you're scrubbing the floor for the umpteenth time, or running the wash AGAIN, remember what you're doing is really important. you're choosing to impact and shape the life of your child every day. i consider it my biggest blessing to be able to tell my daughter at any time i feel like it, "i love you". and what is more important than that?

     
  • At 10:28 AM, Blogger hazel said…

    okay now I feel like I should be a sahm.

     
  • At 12:17 PM, Blogger Missuz J said…

    Ditto to everyone. I look forward to my days home, then find myself here, and think, fuck this fucking filthy house and fuck the grocery store, and if I don't get the fuck out of here I am goint to go fucking mad!

    Sorry. A little riled up today. the house is a shit sty, and if I don't get off my ass and clean it, we're going to be consumed by filth.

     
  • At 12:17 PM, Blogger Missuz J said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At 12:25 PM, Blogger Kathryn said…

    Patrice, you should do what works for you, you owe yourself and your family nothing more and nothing less. A happy momma helps make a happy family right?

     
  • At 12:52 PM, Blogger lonna said…

    I feel like I should stay at home too now. I went back to work at 6 weeks post-partum and I can't believe that I did that to my little guy. I certainly haven't accomplished anything here at work since then.

     
  • At 4:25 PM, Blogger mrs. awesome said…

    i so was NOT trying to put the guilt trip on anyone! everyone has to do what's right for them, and that doesn't necessarily mean staying home. i just wanted to demonstrate that these are normal struggles if you stay home. and to encourage you--you will find your own "biggest blessings" about staying home or whatever you choose to do. :)

     
  • At 7:56 PM, Blogger NME said…

    The best thing about being a mother today is that we now have the ability to make choices. The worse thing is that we still feel guilty and judged about whatever choice we do make. Part of that is society and ALOT of it is internal. I hope future generations have the choices and rejoice in them.

     
  • At 1:50 PM, Blogger lonna said…

    Happy Half Way Point Katie and Shrimpy! I noticed on your ticker that today is exactly 20 weeks. My pregnancy was the longest 9 months of my life.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Free Counters
spread the love